-->

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Courageous Tennessee Man Confesses: I Am the "O Holy Night" Singer

Ask a hundred holiday music enthusiasts to name their favorite seasonal song and you're likely to get a hundred different answers ranging from traditional to novelty, and from choral to rock. Poll a similar group about their least favorite holiday song, however, and I'll wager the range of responses will be considerably smaller. The "worst song" surveys I've seen tend to include a core handful of obvious offenders, including: "The Christmas Shoes," by New Song; Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime"; the Singing Dogs' version of "Jingle Bells," and "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," by Elmo and Patsy. Sure, these songs all truly suck, and I'd add "Do They Know It's Christmas," by any of the Band Aid collectives and any holiday song by Mariah Carey, as well. But for my money, the most unforgivable atrocity has got to be the little ditty I used as the final track of my 2005 CD mix, Don't Wake the Kids, The song is "O Holy Night," as interpreted by a gentleman who wisely appeared to have recorded the song anonymously. I first discovered this train wreck in 2001 on April Winchell's classic website, and I've watched with interest since then as it achieves greater levels of notoriety and scorn. Imagine my surprise then to discover recently that a Tennessee resident named Steve Mauldin has stepped forward to take full responsibility for this monstrosity. Here is his tragic story:

:

No comments:

Post a Comment